This accelerated program allows eligible USU Mechanical Engineering BS students to begin taking MS coursework in the senior year and makes it possible to complete an MS (Plan C) in as little as one year after finishing BS degree requirements.
Program benefits include:
- Greater selection of graduate courses (many taught alternate years).
- Two BS technical elective courses (7 cr max) count towards MS degree credits.
- MS research or projects can be started during the senior year of the BS degree.
- Graduate research or project experience can lead to better career opportunities.
- MS graduates typically earn higher starting salaries compared to BS graduates.
How the program works
Juniors who have asked to be considered for the program are notified of their eligibility at the end of junior year. Eligible students who want to participate must take the GRE and complete the application for graduate admission before the end of the first semester of senior year. At the start of the final senior semester, students apply for BS graduation and choose two senior tech electives to count as graduate credits for the MS. The BS degree is awarded when all BS requirements are complete. Students may then take up to three years to complete the MS degree, and during this time pay graduate tuition. Failure to complete the MS within three years will result in termination from the program and BS tech electives not counting as graduate credits. BS tech electives designated graduate credits are not transferable to other graduate programs.
After being admitted, students have both a BS and MS matriculation, and can take BS and MS courses in any semester of the program.
Until the semester the last 21 credits begin:
- Pay undergraduate tuition.
- BS is primary program; courses 5000-level and under post to BS transcript.
- MS is secondary program; courses 6000-level and above post to MS transcript.
- Split forms submitted as needed to move 5000-level courses to MS transcript. Nine credits may be split during this time (including credits for two BS Tech Electives that will count towards the MS.)
Starting the semester the last 21 credits begin:
- Matriculated as a graduate student, and start paying graduate tuition.
- If receiving financial aid, grant and scholarship eligibility changes this semester. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.
- MS is primary program; courses 5000-level and above post to MS transcript.
- BS is secondary program; courses 4000-level and below post to BS transcript.
- Split forms submitted if needed, to move 5000-level courses back to BS transcript.
BS and MS degrees are awarded the semester requirements for both degrees are complete.
Program must be completed within 2 years of admission to MS program.
Eligibility is determined at the end of junior year. To be eligible students must have:
- Cumulative and admission* GPA of 3.5 or above. *Includes all grades from semesters covering last 60 credits.
- Completed 90 credits of MEEN BS degree requirements.
To find out if you are a candidate for the program, your eligibility (GPA and completion of junior year) needs to be verified by the MAE department.
Email the following info to the MAE Grad Advisor (Chris Spall) before the end of junior year:
- Subject: Concurrent BS/MS Eligibility
- Name and A#
- Semester completing junior year
- Semester normally completing BS degree
You will be notified by email as to whether or not you meet the eligibility requirements, and if you should complete the admissions process below.
Students who are notified they are eligible need to complete 1 - 3 (below) before start of second semester of senior year:
- Apply online for admission to USU’s School of Graduate Studies.
- Request admission for first semester (fall or spring) immediately following senior year.
- USU MAE students do not need letters of recommendation; enter 'USU' where prompted.
- Clearly state that you are applying for the Concurrent BS/MS program.
- Take the GRE General Exam
- Minimum scores: Quantitative - 70th percentile, and Verbal - 40th percentile.
- Analytical section not required, but you should complete it.
- Prepare to do your best!
- Complete the following and email completed forms to the MAE Grad Advisor.
- The Concurrent BS/MS 2 Year Plan, which is used to determine the semester you will begin paying graduate tuition (last 21 credits.) Example of completed 2 Year Plan.
- MAE department checklist for your MEEN_MS or AEEN_MS program plan (A, B, or C.) Use the checklist to determine courses you will take and list on your 2 year plan.
Eligibility to Admissions Timeline
|Eligibility verified||End of Junior year (90 credits of MEEN_BS completed)||Cumulative and admissions* GPA of 3.5 or above|
|Take the GRE||Before end of first semester of senior year||Minimum scores: Quantitativew - 70th percentile, and Verbal - 40th percentile.|
|Apply for MS graduate admission||Complete by end of first semester of senior year||
|Apply for BS graduation||At start of last BS semester||Meet with BS advisor|
|Meet with MAE Graduate Advisor||During first semester of Senior year||Complete Split forms and start MS degree checklist|