The program allows eligible USU Mechanical Engineering BS students to begin taking courses for a MS while completing the senior year. This makes it possible to complete a MS (Plan C) in as little as one year after finishing BS degree requirements.
Program benefits include:
- Two BS technical elective courses (7 credits max) count towards the MS degree.
- Starting MS research projects during the BS senior year.
- Graduate research or project experience can lead to better career opportunities.
- MS graduates typically earn higher starting salaries compared to BS graduates.
Juniors who have asked to be considered for the program are notified of their eligibility at the end of junior year. Eligible students who want to participate must take the GRE and complete the application for graduate admission before the end of the first semester of senior year. At the start of the final senior semester, students apply for BS graduation and choose two senior tech electives to count as graduate credits for the MS. The BS degree is awarded when all BS requirements are complete. Students may then take up to three years to complete the MS degree, and during this time pay graduate tuition. Failure to complete the MS within three years will result in termination from the program and BS tech electives not counting as graduate credits. BS tech electives designated graduate credits are not transferable to other graduate programs.
Eligibility is determined at the end of junior year, and requires:
- Cumulative and admission* GPA of 3.5 or above. *Includes all grades from semesters covering last 60 credits.
- Completed 90 credits of MEEN BS degree requirements.
To find out if you are a candidate for the program, your eligibility (GPA and completion of junior year) needs to be verified by the MAE department.
Email the following info to the MAE Grad Advisor (Chris Spall) before the end of junior year:
- Subject: Accelerated BS/MS Eligibility
- Name and A#
- Semester completing junior year
- Semester normally completing BS degree
You will be notified by email as to whether or not you meet the eligibility requirements, and if you should complete the admissions process below.
Students who are notified they are eligible need to complete 1 - 3 (below) before the end of the first semester of senior year:
- Apply online for admission to USU’s School of Graduate Studies.
- Request admission for first semester (fall or spring) immediately following senior year.
- Recommenders are not required; leave blank.
- Answer yes when aksed if you are a Concurrent BS/Masters applicant
- Take the GRE General Exam
- Minimum scores: Quantitative - 70th percentile, and Verbal - 40th percentile.
- Analytical section not required, but you should complete it.
- Prepare to do your best!
- During first semester of senior year, meet with the MAE Grad Advisor to complete a split form for the BS tech electives that will count as graduate credits, and to review MS program requirements.